Thursday, February 17, 2011

Disconnected

Second year has so far been a process of disconnecting. Most of my classmates 'are so over Rotman' and its a tug of war between being ready to leave (there is the high school element) and remembering that for most of us, this is our last run at school life, from here on out the only new tuition bills (after paying off the old student loan) will be our kids (gasp!).

I can't help but think that we might be wishing our lives away, some frustrating things about school shouldn't out weigh the regular Tuesday nights, the school events like Grad Ball, and our recent Rotman vs Schulich Charity Hockey Game. It's been a good run, and I am looking forward to work for a lot of reasons, but I am also really enjoying the present.

Needless to say, I like many of my classmates, feel disengaged from school, investing time in re-decorating my apartment (starting with a paint job and a new couch) and catching up with friends and family.

As I am starting a demanding full time career, I know that the little free time I have, I'll want to be comfortable in a grown-up apartment. I also know that if I leave my place as is now (futon, no bed frame, miss-matched second-hand furniture that is very functional, but feels like a student apartment) than I'll wake up 30 and still living in the same student apartment.

Remember in undergrad when that chair you found on the street seemed like the best idea ever? In grad school, even perfectly good furniture has started to remind me of that chair from undergrad. Hence the quest for new stuff. That is one of the many wonderful things about Rotman second year. With most of my club duties in the past, and a slightly lighter work load (4 classes instead of 5), I have some time to invest in the overhaul of my apartment.

Another great thing, I am taking this upcoming family day weekend and going to see family (who knew?)! Looking forward to the chance to catch up and chill out (Toronto can be a bit faced-paced sometimes, so it will be nice to take it easy!)

I realize I haven't done a what classes I am taking this semester update - so I'll list them here and revisit with some thoughts on them at a later date!

Fall Semester:
Top Managers Perspective
Business Analysis and Valuation
Taxation and Decision Making
Financial Management
Financial Distress and Insolvency

Winter Semester:
Competition and Strategy in Creative Industries
Management of Fixed Income Securities
Game Theory in Economics
Mergers & Acquisitions

No comments:

Post a Comment