Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blast From The Past - Thoughts on Pre Program / Orientation

The pre program is designed to create an even playing field for all incoming students. There is some basic jargon, TLA's and commonly used formula that are introduced as pre-requisites because the content of the core courses assume each new student is in the know.

As I had a commerce background I was debating the value of attending. Turns out the class material was interesting - even if it was review, and a great chance to practice being a student again. Yes I am saying I needed to practice the art of education. It is a big change to go from an office environment to a classroom setting and it takes some serious adjusting.

The other added benefit of pre program is the definitive social aspect. Coming from out of town my Toronto network was very limited. I was planning on relying heavily on school to develop friendships and knew my enjoyment of the MBA program would be largely linked to this assumption. So while I was setting up my new home, getting internet and basic kitchen gadgets, I attended lectures and more importantly - I meet about 50% of my classmates before we even attended orientation.

Since starting proper classes (which are all in the same room with the same people and the professors come to you) there are many of my pre program friends whom I don't see much of anymore. The question some people ask - can you make friends if you don't attend pre-program? is easily answered: YES! Everyone in our class is friendly and willing to introduce themselves (sometimes more than once) and there is plenty of opportunity to mix and mingle.

A big part of that comes at Orienation Camp. If there is one thing in the pre program line up that you must not miss, its camp. This is a 3 day bonding session with about 70 second years and 230 other members of your incoming class.

There is a lot of scheduled activity, 15 different 'networking' events, a wicked costume party, lots of available food and beverage, and lots of shaking hands. But this is a great opportunity to spend time with your new classmates in the most laid-back environment you will see them in all year.

Come fall, the events and club fairs start, and people start dressing in business casual most of the time.... and the reality of the MBA program starts to take hold. (i am still happily naive and will let you know when I start to stress out seriously.)

By the way, TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms) will be very present in the entire MBA experience - and every now and then you will realize you said an entire sentence with half words and half acronyms and wonder what happend.

No comments:

Post a Comment