Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Time goes on...

Many people come into the MBA program with deep experience in Business, from a consulting or finance background, or have a wicked story - Olympian, Quarterback for Varsity football, life altering experiences while back-packing through Africa and a couple of Doctors to boot.
Then there are the rest of us, mere mortals who are constantly struggling to differentiate ourselves via grades, participation, extra-cirricular events and networking. Every now and then, especially when I feel the struggle to see a light at the end of the tunnel and worry about grades and get concerned about big upcoming events, I stop and gain some perspective.
The thing I have to remember, is that by virtue of being in a top MBA program, your peers are all very smart, very motivated, with great experiences and community involvement. Being 'middle of the pack' among such a strong class is really a great accomplishment. In the spirit of gaining perspective, its great to be in such good company. Every day my classmates amaze me with how to interpret class material that I am not struggling with, and then the next day, I have the opportunity to teach them something.
I was concerned coming into this program that it would be competitive and it would hard develop friendships with my classmates, but generally speaking that hasn't happened. It will be interesting how this plays out in the coming months, as we get our grades back for Q1, and start to get more involved in the recruiting process.
One thing I mentioned earlier, that the class eventually 'divides' into industry groups - has for the most part happened. This is largely by virtue of time. We have such little free time, that our free time is spent attending industry events, and our friends become the people who we spend time with. Many of the people I was friendly with at the start of the year, I still chat with when I see them at class and look forward to catching up with when given the opportunity. But it truly comes down to a split based on chosen industry/career path.
Thats all for tonight, off to study stats and try to ensure I am up to speed by Friday's quiz!

No comments:

Post a Comment