Sunday, October 4, 2009

Money makes the world go round...

Friday morning I think I iced my stats quiz. The good news, is that had I studied more, I would not have even looked at the material that was tested on, so it was a curve ball, and I got other stuff done instead. The bad news is, if that is any indicator of the final, I am between a rock and a hard place. Hoping I can encourage some statistically inclined friends to walk me through some of it. And while I am at it, learn something for the economics quiz on Tuesday!

This blog posts in on "Money" because of the kick off of the RFA event on Friday. If you have ever checked out info sessions on starting careers in the Finance industry, you will learn about selective hearing and money. Selective hearing, because it seems like no one actually registers that the speaker just said "you have to work 100 hour work weeks, you don't control your time, and its super competitive to get in." All they hear is the starting salary is money, and the bonus is more money. I won't quote what they said, cause I am not sure it is backed up, but check out the graduating stats on approx earnings, the dollars won't be exactly bang on, but the idea is there.

After the meeting, two funny things happen. Half the attendees start planning how to get those lucrative jobs, lets start a group to practice together, lets read the paper everyday, lets do all this wonderful stuff that we don't really have time for, but now that we have heard the money we will make time for!

The other half are still scratching their heads trying to decide between consulting and finance and the many, many other lucrative careers available to post MBA's.

I fit in the former group. I am 99.99% sure I want a career in Finance, and have signed up for the stock pitch competition and have already been reading the paper every day. I was talking to my friends about getting prepared if we go the finance route. The short story is, prepare, prepare, prepare. Even if you are a finance rock star and know everything there is to know about finance. The interview process is demanding and grueling and doesn't allow for errors.

So as of right now we are in the prepare and study mode of school, which will continue for the next two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment