Saturday, October 17, 2009

Study, paper, presentation, paper, study.... repeat

I have a theory that the social scene at MBA school is inversely related to the % of our grades be being determined in the next 10 days. So for example last weekend, there was some socializing (I missed out as I was in Ottawa, but there was still some activity). But that's because we had 1 paper due and 1 presentation due.
This weekend - on the eve of exam week, there were even fewer people from our class out last night. A cross grad school party with the Lawyers and the Doctors which I heard was fun. This afternoon, I went and checked out the Homecoming game. Sad to say U of T lost, but one of the players is in my class and he scored a Touch Down so that was very cool. Unfortunately - we were studying ECON in the stands with our trusty cue cards. Not tail-gating with a beer. So that was disappointing.
Number of students are finishing their FIT papers now, and moving on to ECON, our first exam. And this is where the true test of time management comes in. I have said before (and will say again I am sure) the MBA is a training operation on how to manage your time. So front loading can be a good skill to have. For example, our last exam is accounting, so leaving it till Thursday afternoon is simply a flawed strategy. But with ECON right around the corner, it is much more tempting to spend the next 48 hours focusing on that.
The most important point of this blog - is the Friday night of next week. We have been working on a bar/club of choice to go to Friday night and celebrate surviving Q1. A grassroots event popped up to go to the bar at 12:01 as soon as we finish our exam on Friday and manage to start making up for all the missed beers as soon as possible.

I suspect as our grades will have been behind, we will see a very large proportion of the student body out on Friday. At least I hope so!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the stories you are sharing! I'm planning to apply to Rotman this year,and your blog gives me a good peek into the world I am hoping to enter soon =)

    ReplyDelete