Thursday, October 1, 2009

Stats Quiz & Season Opener don't mix...

So one thing we have learned as MBA students, with a few exceptional situations, is that the MBA program doesn't really care that you have a life outside of school. A couple of students are expecting / observing religious holidays. For example this weeks Yom Kippur meant we had a more than usual number of absence in class. Professors and the program services office are very willing to accommodate reasonable situations that require some adjustments.

But, they are not flexible if you do poorly on a stats quiz because you had to watch the season opener of the Canucks versus Flames and simply could not settle for watching the highlights. Even though there are something like 80 more games to watch this season before post season, and a little exciting event I like to call the winter Olympics hosted in Vancouver (home town hollar!) so there will be plenty of hockey to follow this year, I simply cannot miss the first real game of the season.

Now the stats professor might say that if I am comfortable with the material, then that is perfectly acceptable. But I won't know if I am well and truly comfortable with stats until I never, ever have to take a statistics course ever again.

In my research to decide on Rotman, I spoke with students at other schools I had applied to, including Schulich. The student at Schulich was introduced to me because he was a Commerce undergraduate student from McGill (like me).

His (very sound) reasoning for choosing Schulich over Rotman (!) was that he already had a job, he required the MBA to receive promotions and would not be making a major career change, and had been offered advanced standing at Schulich. A lot of the benefit of Rotmans two year program is the opportunity to get a flavour of all the different disciplines and recruit for summer positions. His candid reason for choosing Schulich "I sure as hell wasn't going to take stats again."

I am thinking about that statement, and if I felt that I was in any course where I wasn't learning anything, I would be much more upset. But for the time being, I am getting something from every single class I attend. Sometimes its more than others, but there hasn't been a 'waste of time' class yes, not something I can say I believed in undergrad.

Today's quote of the day: "Studying for stats is a stable process in what on earth am I talking about?"

This weekend is the CIBC Run for the Cure, followed by my first 'official' networking event of the year - a brunch with the folks at McKinsey. Will be sure to post some thoughts on that & maybe some insight into the Rotman Finance Association club which kicks off tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment